ಸೋಮವಾರ, ಮೇ 9, 2005

Yesterday I made the decision that I would only listen to Pink Floyd today (probably inspired by my air-guitar solo to Poles Apart at 1 o'clock Sunday morning). But then last night Street Spirit by Radiohead, was used in a feature (showing the differences between the everyday life of Danish and African children) during our national collection for African orphans.

Inspired by this I changed my mind and decided that today should be dedicated to Radiohead instead. The plan is that I will listen (non-stop) to the 6 studio albums in order of the date released. According to WMP it will take 4 hours, 54 minutes and 45 seconds getting through this "project"!

In case you've forgotten; the 6 albums are (Comments will be added during the day):

Pablo Honey (1993)
I've never really listened to this album, because I only bought it because of Creep. It's really much better than I expected/feared and I will probably give it a few more spins.
The Bends (1995)
To me this is the best of their albums though it's unlikely (never say never!) that it will appear on any of my "best albums of all-time" lists. It really isn't THAT good!
OK Computer (1997)
This is the album that propelled them into stardom and by many voted as one of the best albums ever. The album does include 5-6 really great songs, but overall I think there are far to many weak moments (e.g. fitter happier) for it to deserve even modest consideration as the best album of all-time. Unlike some of the other albums I have really tried and have listened to this one many, many times. But so far I have failed to understand why it is so highly rated.
Kid A (2000)

I'm not sure if you can talk about a break-through, but today probably was the first time that this album didn't sound like complete rubbish. I'm still wondering what they were thinking when recording, though I'm a bit more optimistic now that I will see the light someday!
Amnesiac (2001)

Maybe if I listen to it 15 times in a row, it will start making sense. Right now I honestly believe that I've wasted 44 minutes of my life listening to it! But it's important to keep an open mind, so I will listen to again some other time!
Hail to the Thief
(2003)
Another album I bought without listening to it more than a couple of times. It sounds like the band doesn't know if they shall continue the "new sound" or return to the old one. The result is a mix, which unfortunately never really convince me of its quality.

I probably have listened to more than 100 songs by the band today (gave several songs a second listen), so I guess I've had my share of Radiohead for a while!

Since I love making Top 5 lists, this is my

Top 5 Radiohead Songs:
1. Street Spirit (Fade Out)
2. Creep
3. Let Down
4. Fake Plastic Trees
5. There There (The Boney King of Nowhere)


"Immerse your soul in love"